(Note: Episodic notes are still mostly to be found on the Episodics Notes’ page, but up to a couple every week will have their write-up appear on the main page, when I think they warrant it. For those who don’t know, I take the notes as I watch the episode, and merely re-order them afterwards.)
This is an interesting show for me, one of the shows I’m most interested and intrigued by, but have the least “hype” for, just because I have no idea what to expect, so I have nothing concrete to hope for. I don’t even know “genre”. I’m just going to watch it and see what it is.
Took 20 screenshots this episode. Mostly starring Ene-blue and Shinbo-Sky-Mustard.
Thoughts and Notes:
1) Shinbo being Shinbo (Shaft being Shaft):
1) Boy’s hair fluttering makes me think of Araragi from Monogatari. Gears of a clock as we talk of time-travel or repeating time-loops (I’m guessing) is an easy motif.
2) Ah yes, the Shinbo artistic style, hammering away at us. I remember telling my friend, “Bakemonogatari looks as if Madoka and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei had a love-child,” and he replied, “Yes, they’re both made by Shaft,” and then a light-bulb lit.
2) The Return of Clippy!
1) The return of Clippy! I guess even with advanced AI, when they look like (cute?) girls, those helpers still get on your nerves.
3) “All you do is say the anime wasn’t true to the source material and the voice actress didn’t fit what’s in my head, you do it a whole lot.” – Oh stop it Shaft, talking to your fans! I’m onto you! :P
5) Clippy is hell. For all he complained about how she never shuts up, he takes her even as he leaves home. It truly is hell. There is no escape.
6) This program is combining the worst aspects of one’s conscience, girlfriend, and little sister. She’s like DeeDee from Dexter’s Laboratory.
8) “I’ll probably never set foot outside again, so what the heck.” – And she doesn’t comment on it. Also, since he got Ene, his room became much cleaner. I wonder what’s up.
9) Clippy pls. Also, Shaft, pls. This is becoming self-indulgent.
3) Life is But a Dream!” – More like a Clown-Infested Nightmare:
2) And now our MC-kun’s eyes turned red. Interesting.
4) Ah, I see, so it’s not necessarily that we’ve seen what Ene told him after being captured, it’s possible we saw alternate timelines where she said things to him. Time, and time again.
5) Post ED vignette was weird and neat, the most reminiscent of the Kageru Days project stories. Reminded me of Rozen Maiden (2013) with its little stories.
ED/OP – Whatever it is. I’ve never been a huge fan of vocaloids, but I’ve been liking the Kageru Days project songs. This? This was pretty boring to me. Dunno. The visuals in the beginning with the stark monochrome were a bit boring as well, but once they began fleshing out the colours by adding more, it was visually pleasing.
Post Episode Thoughts:
This was certainly something. Weird and incomprehensible, funny and obtuse.
Shaft was certainly going all-out-Shinbo here, and it was definitely self-indulgent. I sometimes wonder if part of that self-indulgent feeling where it feels they are drinking their own koolaid is actually a result of their infamous inability to meet deadlines – of course they re-use characters and backdrops, and go for these stark backgrounds without characters or details – it’s easier, technically. So much easier to make your fingerprint style one that’s also easier to carry out, technically.
Seems next episode is going to be something completely different? So we’re going to tell a whole bunch of vignettes, and then tie them up, perhaps by some recurring characters? Perhaps they’re all the same story, from various angles?
I wonder if watching this show in one go wouldn’t be better, but it might also cause my brain to melt. Ene wasn’t annoying, on herself, through the Clippy flashbacks almost caused physical agony, but they kept her act going way longer than they should have.
Shaft is being self-indulgent here, and I still have no idea where this show is going. Hm.