October 18th, 2014.
So, Calibur, eh? I wondered what would happen with Mother’s Rosario, because that story needs to be short and punchy, and was worried they’d drag it out. So we got a recap episode and Calibur instead. Calibur is just a small adventure story, with nothing really special, but it has Klein in it. I don’t have a lot of expectations for it, and it builds up on material from ALO that was skipped, so let’s see how they handle it.
Thoughts and Notes:
1) Quest! Loot! Gamers…
1) I wondered how they’ll handle the missing information, since the backstory for this side-story (Calibur, present in book 8), was skipped during the ALO arc. I guess Kirito narrating it quickly, as he actually does in book 8, is the best way. A minute or two, and we’re through!
1) I actually smiled and laughed at Suguha being annoyed with Kirito’s insensitivity :D
3) Kirito is a hardcore gamer, that’s how he got into SAO’s beta to begin with, and to being a beater. The strongest weapon in the game, of which there can only be one? You can bet he’s interested in it :P
“Suguha, there’s more to MMORPGs than just getting better items… but I’m sure your friend wanted us to find it, so we must get it, to please him!” – Yes, yes, give in to your urges, Kirito. And no, Suguha isn’t buying what you’re selling.
2) It’s Harem-Time!:
1) Just… Asuna in a shower, starting from focusing on her butt and stuff before panning to actually show us her face. Such anime stuff >.> They did give us something not originally part of the story, which ties into the next arc – her going to Kyoto.
2) You can see the different expectations for different games. Sinon is used to shooting at targets from at least 500 meters out, what are 100 yards (91 meters) to her? Nothing.
3) And now we get a little infodump on Sword Skills being introduced to Alfheim, again, building towards the next arc, Mother’s Rosario. Guess they’d rather have several smaller info-dumps than one huge one. Also, this story was written after Mother’s Rosario, so guess they need to fill us in so we’d understand what’s actually going on when players bust out Sword Skills.
5) Tonkii-san, sure looks like a Lovecraftian elder horror, eh? Just your graceful flying tentacle elephant monstrosity…
3) The Surprise Grand Quest:
1) Urd, one of the three maidens of destiny, a take on the Crone, the Mother, and the Maiden.
2) Yes, welcome to the land of MMORPG quests, where you get a lot of long and overwrought filler fluff, which after a couple of hours into the game you just skip over. Guess VRMMORPGs force you to sit through it, eh? What a bum deal.
3) A video game that promises you a reward for a quest, and then actually lies to you and doesn’t deliver? Imagine how pissed off you’d be – this is what happens when the GM and quest-givers are AIs capable of lying :P
4) BTW, in case you missed it, this is a quest that can transform the whole game irrevocably, either way. Either Jotunheim will transform if Kirito’s group succeeds, or the world above will get wrecked, including the main hub city, if they fail. All this, without much fanfare. Cardinal, issuing world-changing quests, without listening to marketing peeps.
5) Epic music as we see our epic heroes about to enter the epic dungeon for an epic raid, for the epic sword. It’s like I’m watching Band of Brothers. There’s a tear in my eye – no, not really, but Yuki Kaijura’s music and everyone’s hair blowing in the wind like this adds up to an amusing atmosphere because it’s trying too hard.
OP – Really damn pretty, but the song is just ok, standard fare.
ED – Fine, I guess. Skipped.
Post Episode Thoughts:
MMO chatter. Quests, loot, exposition, small touches that will come in handy when the next arc rolls by, more Klein. Take it or leave it, ok episode, some cute moments, and so much fan-service, wow.