February 13th, 2014.
With the fillers behind us, it’s time to go back to plot!
I’m only going to note down things that I find especially worthy! So mostly post episode?
1) This episode began with Yuuta narrating, because we need to remind everyone where we are after the last two episodes. It also reminds one of Nibutani narrating two episodes ago. Honestly, they could’ve done away with them, yeah. Good to have you back, Yuuta.
2) Even the night goggles are a continuation of what we’ve seen before – what Rikka had spent her monthly allowances on.
3) Wait, not only are we getting an episode focused on our couple, but we even left Dekomori and Kumin behind! More main-character time! :)
4) “Dark Dragonius Saint Palace Castle!” – Chuunis are horrible at naming :3
5) “Could you take care of her for me during the trip?” – I thought so earlier as well, during the packing. What sort of romantic relationship is this, if Rikka is being infantilized, and Yuuta has to be her parent, rather than her peer? She is handed off like a child between parents. It’s a really weird sort of relationship, and it’ll have a hard time advancing. But Rikka needs help to get pulled out of her shell, so I guess she needs some imbalance of power.
6) Man, that understated music as Rikka and Yuuta stared into one another’s eyes had been perfect.
7) This show, these kids! :P You know some people need help when after being a couple for 6 months (8 now?) the show makes this big of a deal of a kiss on the cheek ;)
Minimal note-taking accomplished, now for post-episode long-form thoughts!
I liked this episode a lot. I really liked this episode. Looking at it as a whole, not a lot happened, right? But isn’t that half the point of RomComs? Where you just spend your time with the characters, as they spend time with one another? That they half-smile and half-blush and you have this goofy grin on your face? Yes, that is RomComs. RomComs are you falling in love with the characters falling in love, and just feeling warm and fuzzy about it.
You not only do not need “things to happen”, but things “happening” can even break the spell, you just need a relaxed atmosphere with slight tension. Yes, it’s silly that it’s such a big deal that Rikka kissed Yuuta on the cheek, if we look at it objectively, but did we not smile alongside the characters? Did we not go “That’s so Rikka”?
We did. And things are moving, and it doesn’t mean if it’s still slow, what matters is how things look from the perspective of the characters. Furthermore, just imagine this isn’t episode 6, but episode 4, because canon-wise, it sort of is.
I still think the only hope is by Yuuta being more honest with Rikka, not just because it’s important for its own sake, but because it’d force Rikka to take some initiative, it’d force her to actually have agency in this relationship, rather than only admitting things after happenstance and everyone else pushes her into a corner. You can do it Rikka, we know you want to. And yes, it’s hard, but telling Yuuta you care for him is the hard step, and you’ve already passed that successfully.
And finally, this shot was great. Showing us the couple, showing us the world through their joined perspective.