April 5th, 2014.
I’m a Sex Symbol!
Bones, a mecha show that is going to be super-pretty, and perhaps avoid how tired Sunrise is recently. Let’s see.
Thoughts and Notes:
1) Symbolism and Background:
1) We open with a monograph how the truth robbed our childhood away, then a monologue on how earth isn’t as peaceful as we thought, and conclude with a pretty show of crystals impaling the dark side of the moon:< And we’re just 20 seconds in, welp.
2) Rainbow ring boy, water-goddess-bubble girl… And now in 5 seconds we had more “Prophecy! Backstory! Super!” than most shows have in their first 3-4 episodes. Yup, reminds me of Eureka 7 a bit (which is a good thing).
3) “We are the Planetary Gears! We reveal the dream of the world!” – Yeah, a bit heavy-handed. I guess I got a wee bit tired of all these mystical backstories in mecha shows, and destined people, etc.
4) “Hope means believing the future will be better than today, and real hope can only come from choices you make.” – Deep.
5) Mid-episode card, “All will be obvious soon,” heh.
6) And they actually show us what that memory-vision was in the same episode, without dragging us along. Neat!
7) And now we have the schemers, the men behind the screen, manipulating things. Ark versus intercept. Ark wants to abandon Earth, while interceptors want to protect it, I guess.
2) I’m a Sex Symbol:
1) “High density libido charge”, as he rams a red-rod into the girl’s rear… wait, what? Just to note, I wouldn’t be surprised if they took the term “libido” from one of the places where it’s mentioned the most often – Freud.
2) Speaking of phallic symbols, aliens have their “Libido rod”, and earthlings have a big rocket, to rip through the heavens.
3) “Earth Engine, Expand!” – No comment.
3) Fighting Spirit:
Prophecy had been given to the babes. Behold the prophetess, an elementary school student!
“What should I do?” – No reply. “What can I do?” – Smile, and an answer. No one can answer should, but they can give you the tools, and let you decide.
And now he’s been given the power, he chose his fate, and the power (and his fighting spirit) is firing up.
- Father was an astronaut. I wonder who the man going with him to the teacher is.
- I liked the “gentle song” playing as we saw hacker girl.
- Can’t help it, can you? :P Yeah, almost any show will remind you it can be funny by ways of gags now and then.
- AEO – Approaching-Earth Object. What’s NEO then? Neutral-Earth Object?
- Drop out of school, guys. Being good at video games will allow you to save the world!
- Nice mecha.
Post Episode Thoughts:
Worst thing about the show thus far – I want to watch episode 2 right now. Yeah, I wish more shows had pulled a double-length premier to get us in ;-)
The symbolism in this show, the mystic techno-babble, all the Capital Letters Special Terms, the sexual and psychological terminology. I’m a bit tired from all of this stuff. Yes, we’ve had NGE, and RahXephon, and Eureka 7, but we can do without. I guess it still keeps the mind more curious and interested than the Sunrise “regular routine”, not that they allow us to have a show without magic and/or psychological influences either ;-)
This show was beautiful. Almost the same crisp nature of Noragami, which was sharper, and also more ethereal. They went for a more stylized and shiny art-style here, and it works. The music was also top-notch.
Solid, solid stuff. Now just show me the story is actually there and not just mambo-jambo.