October 7th, 2015.
1) First Impressions:
1) Liking the soft piano music playing as the cherry blossoms fall.
2) Right, a teenager who wants excitement. We can say, chaos and change, which is called “The progress of time.”
3) “Straight and unyielding, like a femur.” The weird bone metaphors are here!
4) The art is almost too sharp, yeah, definitely The Garden of Words vibe.
5) Characters feel a bit detached from the backgrounds, as if the borderline is muddied.
6) That draw back, yes, small moments, definitely drawing from Hyouka.
2) Detached, Aloof:
1) And everyone steps back, especially his “friend”.
2) That half-turn at 2:30 was animated weirdly.
3) “My name is…” while we glare at her chest. Of course, light novel source material >.<
4) Right, literary references, as befits a mystery.
5) “Memories of the past dwell here, quiet and kind.” And now we’ll see the unkind, and perhaps not so quiet memories, or the one who will awaken them, eh?
6) So, this person just stands under the cherry tree, staring at it for hours. Makes sense.
3) Light Novel Kids:
1) And of course his eyes move down her body. He’s a healthy young boy.
2) “The sea is blue, the sky is blue, and the ocean breeze is most pleasant. What could you be complaining about.” GAH.
3) Sakurako is like a combination of Makise Kurisu, Hitagi Senjougahara, and of course, Dark Flame Master.
4) The promise of shrimp getting him that excited, he is a kid.
5) Focusing on his crotch, equal opportunities, or to imply he’s about to empty his bladder?
6) And she straddles him, and he’s about to burst.
4) The Gap Moe Chuunibyou:
1) “Based on the crack, I’d say the damage was inflicted by a club.” So you can’t take it home, police. Police!
2) “The skull is one of the most eloquent bones in existence.” This is what we call a gap moe. Others call it mental illness.
3) Of course , while Sakurakou is one-third Dark Flame Master, it’s Shoutarou who is Togashi Yuuta.
4) Unless someone killed both and threw them to the ocean together, d’oh.
5) Ok, the “inside Sakurako’s head” scene was pretty cool. Good music too.
6) The young cop is drawn like ass, what’s up with his face?
7) “The agony of death surpasses love, I suppose.” More cool lines.
5) “Yuuta” Strikes Back:
1) That happy smile after that pronouncement, so incapable of mood-reading.
2) The escalating violin music during Sakurako’s explanation of the drowning is very well integrated and heightens the atmosphere of Shoutarou and the cop’s discomfort.
3) In other words, others try to look for reasons that a thing is not murder, so they will overlook what’s in front of them, while Sakurako does wish every death to be a murder, so will find the facts that support it. No, it doesn’t mean she tends to be right more than others, but that she’ll see these facts.
4) “Unfortunately, human remains are not generally found lying around.” I think the show is trying way too hard to make her “cool”.
5) Focus on his hands to show his discomfort, yes, very Hyouka-ish.
6) That gift from aunty, whose husband was the famous professor, I almost thought it’d be a skull :P