April was my Spring Break month, I had a lot of plans, and ended up doing nothing… oh well. Happens. Too much vacation, I guess.
I use this post to go over all the media consumed/experienced over the past month, with 2-4 sentences per item. A way to give short thoughts on each topic.
Only anime-films this time around. I hope I’ll catch Captain America: Winter Soldier, before it leaves the cinema theatres.
- Richard the Third – Theatre – I used to go to a lot more plays in the past. This is actually my first time hearing the tale of Richard the 3rd, in any media. It’s interesting, how most collections of Shakespeare leave out the bloody and political tragedies (Richard the 2nd, Richard the 3rd, Titus). The writing was solid, they added a certain modern decadent atmosphere that reminded me of the Titus version Anthony Hopkins starred in. The actor of Richard the 3rd was very good, but most of the other actors weren’t overly impressive. Seems they went for melodrama, on purpose. Of the three female actresses, the Queen Mother was good, but the other two were either wooden and stuck too close to their lines, or just felt out of place altogether.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica 3: Rebellion (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari) – This was an experience. Certainly a spectacle. A mindscape film, an artistic film, a fan-pleaser, or a fan-despoiler? Is it Matrix 2, or Matrix 3? The amount of discussion about this film online is quite large, and it’s interesting to see in what direction every person takes it. I took it to a meta-commentary on fandom direction, which you can read here.
- Redline – Pretty movie. Very much like a western popcorn film. Good art direction, crazy levels and direction of energy, and… nothing else. Watch if you want something pretty and mindless, it would do that well, and do nothing else.
- King of Thorn (Ibara no Oh) – This film was very pretty, with good voice-acting, great music and visual design, and execution. Many parallels had been made to the story of Sleeping Beauty, at its core this film is a remake of “Cube”, a bunch of people trying to make it out of a maze, and I kept thinking of Cube, and the film even supported it. Cast over Cube though is the very… “Mindscape” feel of the film, being unable to know what is real, and what’s really going on. It was a nice experience.
- Mushishi Special – Hihamukage – This was but one day before Mushishi‘s second season began airing. It was time for more Mushishi, and a double-length episode at that. It was great. With the supernatural situation reflecting the human one, and reflections on human existence. Just… Mushishi being Mushishi, and there’s little more you could ask for.
- Princess Tutu episodes 1-7 – Princess Tutu is something special. A simple story, of a story within a story, that never ends. It has Carmen, and Tchaikovsky. Ballet is what this story conjures, and one of the forces within it. It’s a good show for all ages, and you can enjoy it on any number of levels. The more you try to get out of it, the more you’ll find.
- Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) OVA 2 – A comic OVA set around episode 5-6. I heartily recommend it to everyone who watched the show, whether or not they enjoyed it. Hilarious. I don’t think I’ve laughed this much from any anime, comedy or otherwise, in a long while. They’re parodying themselves, and it’s great.
- And for the currently running shows: Gokukoku no Brynhildr 1-3, Captain Earth 1-3, Akuma no Riddle 1-4, M3: Sono Kuroko Hagane 1, No Game, No Life 1-4, Hitsugi no Chaika 1-4, Mushishi S2 1-4, Ping Pong 1-3, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure S2 1-4, Fairy Tail (2014) 1-4 Black Bullet 1-4, Sidonia no Kishi 1-3, Nisekoi 13-16, Mekakucity Actors 1-3, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 1-4, Isshuukan Friends 1-4, Selector infected WIXOSS 1-3, and Nagi no Asukara 26.
In case you’re wondering, I’ve watched 68 full length episodes and 0 shorts this month, compared to 75 and 6 last month, though I did watch a double-length OVA and 3 films. The new season is pretty great, even most of the stupid stuff is enjoyable, and most shows are better than last season’s average, but last season was… not good.
- Mahouka Kokou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic School) Finishing most of book 12 – They just began translation of the 13th novel. The 12th book is actually somewhat better than those before? People are still ridiculous, and the manner in which the story is told still relies a lot on just being given information, but the actual story is more interesting, and less information is just handed to us.
- Spice and Wolf 3/4ths of book 1 – Yeah, I didn’t read much this month. Well, began the Spice and Wolf LNs. Decided to start with the first, to see how it differs from the anime, rather than skip to the new content. It’s alright thus far. Nothing bad, nothing great. There’s also the fact I can fill in an emotional connection, and even provide mental soundtrack and voice-acting from the anime.
- LUFTRAUSERS – Still chasing some of those achievements, kept running into bosses, so at least I’m getting better at getting to that stage! Also wrote a small piece about its design.
- Destiny of Spirits – Yeah, kept playing it, just wanted to log in, and there are limited events… for the last couple of weeks though, it didn’t do too hot with letting me log into the game, so that may have broken its hold on me.
- Dokuro – Was bored on a train-ride, and didn’t feel like firing up a more serious game. A sort of puzzle platformer. Slow. Nothing special, to me.
- FTL: Faster than Light – New patch, with a lot of content. I sunk about 20 more hours into the game this month? Finally beat the boss with some help from guides, and unlocked a bunch more ships. A nice game, but I always feel my time wasn’t spent well after I play it for 6-8 hours straight… oy.
- Smite – A MOBA in third person, sort of. Played a couple of games versus AI with friends on Skype. Was interesting. As all MOBAs, need to learn itemization, your characters, etc.
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma – Finally got around to this! Almost a month after obtaining it! It’s fun. But thus far I mostly messed with the characters in Arcade mode, semi button-mashing. Still need to put in the hours and learn the characters, and try the new ones more. The characters in this game are so much fun, but there’s something to be said for Persona 4: Arena’s shared controls.
Hadn’t done much, I almost wonder where all my time had gone.