I’ve been all sorts of busy and pre-occupied this month, which explains the relative dearth of movies watched, as well as all the editorials I said I’ll write and hadn’t. I’ll also use this entry to give a sentence or so on each of the currently airing anime I’ve watched, and there’d been a metric ton of those.
I use this post to go over all the media consumed/experienced over the past month, with 2-4 sentences per item. A way to give short thoughts on each topic.
- Frozen – I really wanted to watch this in the cinemas, but by the time my friend and I had time, it was only airing with Hebrew dub, and we didn’t want that, so I’ve watched it on the last night of the month, at home. Man, I had so much fun. Alongside Tangle, it really feels as if Disney is getting back on the horse in recent years. The movie held no surprises for me, being able to see all plot-twists, but that’s hardly an issue. The acting was solid, and as is often the case the supporting characters who are only meant to elicit jokes stole the show. I actually didn’t like Elsa and her voice actress (Idina Menzel) too much, but since she’s essentially a supporting character (as is the case in every Disney film, only one princess is the main character, and this time it’d been Anna) it wasn’t too much of an issue. I did wish they had more songs, the song above is the only major song in the film.
All in all though? It was a charming movie, it was beautiful, it was fun, it was funny and it made me slightly emotional. Highly recommended.
- Cencoroll – A 30 minute anime one-shot. Very interesting direction, very good characterization which is also minimalist. The film doesn’t state much, or answer anything, relying on suggestion. It is exciting at times, and would make for an amazing first 30 minutes of a long form movie/series, but as a stand-alone piece? Somewhat lacking.
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure episodes 9-22 – Ok, the new JoJo is so much more fun than the first. The first is sort of a B-movie that takes itself seriously, is slightly amusing, but eh, take it or leave it. Then we meet the second JoJo, and we’re thrust into an Indianna Jones Pulp movie setting, complete with references, and a character who doesn’t take himself seriously, and everything is just fun! I should finish it this week, probably.
- Ixion Saga DT episode 3 – Just another episode. I laughed a lot, yet it felt sort of “heavy”, rather than light. Dunno.
- Kamisama no Memochou (God’s Memo Book) episodes 1-12 (Complete) – Watched it with an online anime club. It was nice, the acting was quite good, the art was quite good, and I liked the cast. The philosophy and ideas were left out a bit, on how they’re detectives who try to heal people and how they but try to get glimpses at God’s “memo-pad”, in a manner that might even remind one of Touch of Angels or Gideon’s Crossing, but the characters were solid, and after the start the show focused on the pasts and issues of characters whom you like already. Solid show, but not special.
- Texhnolyze Episodes 1-3 – This is such a ponderous show, so methodical, so slow. Watching it with a club, it’s often hailed as a sci-fi classic, but at episode 5 we still don’t really have any plot. I can’t even imagine following this show weekly, heh.
- And for the currently running shows: Buddy Complex 5, Chu2koi Ren 5-8, Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) S2 4, Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 4-7, Kill la Kill 17-20, The Pilot’s Love Song (Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta) 5-8, Log Horizon 18-21, Nagi no Asukara 18-21, Nisekoi 4-7, Nobunagun 5-8, Noragami 5-7, Pupipo! 6-11, Sekai Seifuku 4-7, and Tokyo Ravens 17-20.
In case you’re wondering, I’ve watched 75 full length episodes and 6 shorts this month, compared to 70 and 10 last month. Generally disappointed by the currently airing shows, and pleased with the older shows I’ve been watching. See my other posts for what I think of them.
- Mahouka Kokou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic School) 90% of the first book – Light novel, the anime adaptation is coming over in the Spring, and it’s been super highly recommended to me by various people over the past year or so. It’s very LN-esque, and what that means I plan to write about. Not enough content happens for the amount of pages we cover, it feels like, and the writing isn’t great, but it’s still essentially in the “introductory section,” I just hope the anime adaptation blows through the first 2 books in 5 episodes or so :3 There are some nice moments, but not attached to any characters, and the writing isn’t helping there. There are some nice social ideas, at least – meaning they’re aware of concepts, not that they’re new and cool.
- League of Legends – Played, but not enough. Just playing League is insufficient, need to be more consistent about it.
- Toukiden Demo – I’ve played it for ~15 hours, so I’ll probably get the game when it’s on sale. Missed a 50% off sale. It’s quite a button-masher, but it’s a way to throw away your time, still, not a high priority. Will likely get it for free on my PS+ at some point ;)
- Warframe – This is a third person shooter game which operates like a “free-to-play” Monster Hunter. You must spend copious amounts of time, unless you pay money, per weapon/extra class, and most don’t really change the way the game plays either, which is quite eh. I’d rather play Tribes Ascend, which is PVP, and you get considerably different playstyles when you unlock new weapons/classes, for which time is enough, you don’t have to wait real life days unless you spend additional money. Eh.
- Sequence – Rhythm game RPG. The acting and the script by the main two characters are solid, but the game basically has three songs, and it’s just fighting the same monsters for drops until you get to new monsters with slightly different rhythm patterns, but the same songs… pass.
- Muramasa Rebirth – I like Vanillaware, though I still need to get GrimGrimoire. It’s a beautiful game, and one of my all-time favourite voice actresses, Sawashiro Miyuki is playing the main role. It’s beautiful, it’s not too hard aside from the specific challenges you can try to tackle, and it’s fun.
Yup, busy month, need to clear my schedule of some stuff, including real life things, to be able to progress ahead. Winter doesn’t play well with my mood.