We’ll begin with my NaNoNoWriMo 2009 thoughts, and move on to my questions to those of you loyal readers of my blog.
NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, where one attempts to write 50,000 words during the month of November, with the emphasis being put on quantity over quality, trying to get people to write. I am not going to write a novel, and if we are honest, it’s been several years since when “National” had truly been the focus of anything.
And so, I present to you NaNoNoWriMo, which stands for National Non-Novel Writing Month. In the end, NaNoWriMo is all about setting a goal to yourself anyway, so I’m thinking I’ll be writing posts and ideas, and attempt to get to the 50k words mark (not all posts and thoughts would get posted immediately, but at the normal blog(s) spacing, and perhaps some will not get published at all). The posts will include philosophical musings I would like to elaborate on, perhaps a short piece of fiction or two, and posts. Posts for this very blog, or for my personal blog (say, about morality and politics), posts about Role-playing theory, and so on and so forth. Another option is to write about 40k words, and spend time editing and revising some of the texts of one or more of my RPG projects.
I might collect them all in one big PDF at the end of the month and share it.
Now, some questions to those of you who read my blog, or blogs:
- What would you like to see my write more about?
- What would you like me to write less about?
- Why do you read my blog?
- Does my blog give you something you don’t get from other blogs/sites, if so, what is it? Feel free to list more than one.
- I began my “Things I Like” non-reviews as quite short (see the Tenjho Tenge, Gurren Lagann and Damages posts), and moved to considerably longer posts, which range upwards of 1,400 words (such as RahXephon, Mai-HiME, and 07-Ghost posts). How do you feel about that?
- Continuing the above, I tend to pick one thing in the Things I Like posts and focus on it, should I just keep that one thing, which is what I did in the shorter posts, or do that and also add other interesting bits?
- How do you like my “Non-review reviews”, where I give thoughts on things, and elaborate on interesting things, but you can’t tell from my posts what the series/book is about?
- Anything you want to tell me, or talk about?
- I am nearing 10k views on the blog. Does anyone want to do some piece of art (photoshop, doodle, haiku..) for the event? :)
50k words seem like an ambitious but really worthwhile goal. Good luck. ^ ^
Anyway for the questions,I’ll just answer a few.
3. I read your blog because I spend too much time online and I like your posts (see 4.)
4. 5-hot 5-not. I like those posts. Give a quick rundown and short review of multiple figures.
8. I’d like to link your blog. Is that Ok? And do you have an image I can use?
8. You can link, sure. Thanks for asking though, or at least notifying, which is what I request/prefer.
I have a tiny button and a small banner, E2046 size, I’m still working on them, but work had stalled for various reasons, but I guess for the time being they’ll do.
Button and banner. Based on the header I had.
Here are some answers.
1. Personal thoughts on whatever. You have a unique view and an interesting writing style.
2. Don’t write less!
3. See 1. 5 hot, 5 not, which is just the right amount of text for the right amount of images to be something fun you look forward to.
4. see above.
I’ll admit now that I do not read /all/ your posts, I read the ones that catch my eye. 5 hot, 5 not is the only post I look forward to.
Everything else is gravy.
To clarify about #2, it’s not that I’ll write less overall, but if there are things which bore you, and instead of writing them I’d write more of something else.
I do plan to get some more Geekulture posts going, such as the Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell post. Posts about books, where I don’t review the book, but talk about a phenomenon using the book, or TV show, as an example. Kind of like “Things I Like” I guess, but just the thing of interest, and not really anything else.
And thanks :)
Thats quite some project you planned there!
So why am I coming to your blog?To hear your opinion about Things that is!
In the end you should write stuff your comfortable with.50K words is quite alot so you should use some stuff youre interested in
Don’t worry, those 50k words will all be stuff I’m interested in, for my 3-4 blogs. Politics, game theory, philosophy, book reviews… don’t worry ;)
Just putting in a quick word, keep up the good job. I read your blog to see your opinions/views I guess; every blog has a different flavor.
Everyone probably does, heh.
50k words…that’s a lot to write. I usually run out of vocabulary after 500 words. ^^;;
I read what sounds interesting to me, which could be anything thoughtful. I kinda liked that eBay post you did.
And congrats on nearing 10k. :)
Am way behind on my word-count, but I need to step up on it again… also need to go back to sleep now, wake in 5 hours and crank out the last two weeks’ Figure Friday.
Thanks! I already passed it on Thursday, now need to get something for it ;)
The #1 reason I probably frequent your blog is because you’re so conversational on all your posts. It’s nice having a blog to visit where you interact so much with the author. I like that you often find something different to post about too(with regard to otaku stuff).
Sorry I didn’t keep to your requested format.
Thank you for commenting, and I’ll try to find it within my heart to forgive you for your transgression, I am that magnanimous ;-)
And yes, I like commenting on my blog, I come from a long history of fora and chats, and besides, I think it’s really important.
And I try to bring something different, it’s a good thing my regular thoughts seem to turn about different topics :)