Month in Review – November 2009: Purchases and Media.
Well, it’d please you all to know that while I’m not sure what’s going on with Figure Friday, there will be Figure Monthly rolling out next week, for October, and shortly thereafter November, at the very least. This very entry should have gone up earlier this week, but school is putting the crack down, as well as dealing with the public beta of the Hordes wargame which is currently ongoing.
Read on for last month’s media consumption and purchases, which had been relatively light, due to both school and a new girlfriend taking away from my free time. Also, happy birthday to me
- Stalag 17 – An oldie and goodie, it’s such a shame that not more people know this movie. You laugh, and you feel. About American Prisoners of War in German warcamps during WW2. Made in 1953 or so. Also a very good rendition of When Jonny Comes Marching Home Again (linked above).
- District 9 – Due to my birthday, and having free tickets, and all of my friends already having watched Inglorious Basterds, we’ve went and watched District 9, which I’ve already watched at Icon 2009 two months ago. I still had fun.
- Tricks/Sztuczki - A Polish film my mother brought. Cute, somewhat aimed at those willing to not take things too seriously. Was a nice watch. It’s about a young boy, his older sister who cannot advance in life and teaches him how to “tempt fate”, and how he gets their father who left their family back home.
- Billy Elliot – Amazingly, we’ve watched this film, which I own, at school, as an example of changing one’s social cosmology, as part of a Sociology class about inequality in everyday life.
- Toy Story 1 – This is the first time I’ve watched the movie in English, on DVD, and it held up well, if you ask me.
- Toy Story 2 – This is the first time I’ve watched this movie, at all. I’ve loathed Jesse, and I know she was written this way on purpose, but I was annoyed. Also, he wasn’t kidnapped by a Japanese collector, Woody, but kidnapped (“Stolen”, technically, the “Kidnap” assumes that the thief knew he was a “Sentient being”) in order to be sold to one, so more like toy-trafficking
- Toradora! – Watched episodes 1-3, currently seems like a regular “We will make it!” series, the drastic animation style in the third episode (it feels different) kinda threw me off for a bit.
- Gurren Lagann – Episodes 1-2. Watching this again, with Chen (the girlfriend). I totally didn’t remember the opening sequence which foreshadows the end (or perhaps the Spiral King’s past, or Kamina’s dad as imagined by him?), and there are really wacky “Camera angle changes”, like when Kamina realized it’s his dad’s skull at the end of the second episode, and it makes such a shift from his view to seeing them from the side, as silhouettes, as he shouts at the sky. I plan to get some more done this weekend, but I only watch it with her, which limits things a tad.
- Finished Claymore, which I’ve covered. Episodes 19-26. I think I did it on the first of the month, actually.
- Eisenhorn omnibus – The first book of the omnibus, and most of the second. Xenos and Malleus, respectively.
- Resurrection Man – Just wanted to read a section of it again, picked it up, and before I knew it it was over. A weird and marvelous book.
- Yeah, school kept me busy
- More miniatures…
- Receives the replacement part for Saber Lily Nendoroid‘s base, so will finish her photoshoot soon. Good job Good Smile Company customer service!
- Paid for Saber Alter Maid by Alter (+Chibi), via Tokyo Hunter (Expensive!).
- Clothes! I’ve actually posted ”coverage” of the issue, but now I’m actually in posession of better looking clothes. I think my previous wardrobe is mostly fine, but well, that’s life.
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy – My sister took the previous copy with her to China (she returned from a 4 month trip earlier today), so I had to get a new copy.
- Not exactly a purchase, but I’ve received replacement speakers, a newer set, from Altec Lansing (2.1, 2 speakers and a subfwoofer), and it’s perfect.
In other news, I’ve turned 24 on the 29th of November